Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Baby Reject Breastfeed - How I successfully established breastfeed when baby reject it.

Day 1


Before this I thought delivery and breastfeeding are very easy and I will come get use to it naturally.

However, during delivery, I don’t have energy to push thus Dr decide to use vacuum for me.

The worst thing come in for breastfeeding. During the skin to skin session, I thought of breastfeed my baby but no nurse help me with. The nurse do ask me to breastfeed my baby 6 hours I deliver her.

My left nipple hurts during the first breastfeed, then my right nipple hurt after trying to breastfeed 3 hours later. The milk I can produce is only 0.2ml, and the nurse said the normal volume should be 3ml. She cry every time after I feed her. I scare my baby will be hungry, thus I ask the hospital to ‘top-up’ the milk for her. I need to sign a paper as the hospital is labelled as ‘breastfeeding friendly’ hospital.


Day 2


Hospital used sipping cup to feed my baby, so I am still relieve it won’t result nipple confusion due to bottle feeding. But my worry come when I saw they feed 80ml for 1st and 2nd time, then 60ml (2oz). I think they had overfeed my baby, and I am so scare that my breastfeeding journey will be hard.

Called my sister and she said nipple sore is normal for Day 1-3, so I am relieved. I think nurse should tell me this. I thought there were something wrong on me.

I still continue to go to nursery room every 3 hours to feed my baby, but everytime I ended up turning my calm baby to crying baby.


Day 3


The hospital lactation consultant finally come in (they don’t work on weekend) and teach me how to latch baby properly. This is very useful to me. They ask me to take a deep breath to relax so that baby won’t cry and it really works.

Discharge today and sadly need to purchase formula milk for my baby. Feeding my baby with formula and make sure it does not over 60ml per feeding. Occasionally still feed her with breast, sometimes she want, sometimes she don’t want.



Day 4


Baby fed on formula and breastmilk. I was still using hand and manual to pump out the milk. But every pump only yield about 1-2ml. I was so sad.

On Day 4, there was a aunty who came to my house to help baby bath. She was surprised seeing me feeding baby with sipping cup. She helped me to feed baby with bottle and that day I cried.


Day 5-6


I finally feel engorged, good and bad news. Good news is I finally have milk, bad news is it is really painful. Successfully yield 3-5ml each time but still cannot catch that 60ml. Ordered electric pump online.

Baby now seem starting to refuse breastfeed. I am worry and called the hospital lactation consultant for help. They suggest doing skin-to-skin everyday and express out the milk.

When she hungry, she cry very loud and seem very pitiful. Husband, although know the benefit of breastmilk, suggest that don’t let her cry for so long and just bottle fed her. But when my sister said if baby is used to formula and bottle, hassle will be on us, eg, need to sterilise bottle, boil water etc. Then my husband agree that we will continue to switch baby to fully breastmilk.



Day 7-8


Double electric pump reached. I ordered RM200+ one. Quite shock when I saw some electric pump can cost up to RM1k.

With electric pump, each time I can yield about 20ml. I am quite satisfied. I was thinking if i can pump 20ml every hour, I can catch baby demand already.

Sometimes she refuse breastmilk, as the formula is sweet (yes I taste both formula and my breastmilk on my own).


Day 9


On the day, able to feed baby with fully breastmilk. When she refuse to suck from my breast we use cup or stringe to feed her.

At night, she cry very loud and I don’t have pumped breastmilk anymore. I asked my mum to give her formula milk, but my mum kinda force her to suck from my breast. I am grateful that due to my mum persistent, she finally accept to drink from my breast! A full day breastmilk day with a little drama at night.


Day 10 onwards


Finally fully breastfeed my baby. I guess she had forget the delicious sweet formula milk.




p/s: However, baby now reject bottle which caused headache to me. :/

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: